We believe that education is the most fundamental requirement to allow Guatemalan children to develop their own community and economy.
Niños del Lago is one of many licensed charitable organizations (Non-Governmental Organizations, or NGOs) working in Guatemala to help educate and nurture the poorest children of Central America.
Niños del Lago is a one-of-a-kind organization because:
- Niños del Lago’s programs will improve the lives of over 2,200 vulnerable children every year.
- Our approach nurtures both formal education and alternative methods for children to learn ways to build new life skills and grow their capacity and drive to stay in school.
- In partnership with our La Cadena NGO partners we will track each Niños del Lago child through primary school.
- We will establish a link between vulnerable children and Guatemalan university students who will work at the forest camp as Mindful Mentors, giving the children strong role models.
- The staff at our forest camp will be well-trained local Mayan villagers, providing much needed jobs in an area of few employment opportunities.