We believe that education is the most fundamental requirement to allow Guatemalan children to develop their own community and economy.
Niños del Lago is one of many licensed charitable organizations (Non-Governmental Organizations, or NGOs) working in Guatemala to help educate and nurture the poorest and most vulnerable Guatemalan children.
Niños del Lago is a one-of-a-kind organization because:
- Niños del Lago’s programs will improve the lives of over 2,200 vulnerable children every year.
- Our approach nurtures both formal education and alternative methods for children to learn ways to build new life skills, grow their capacity, and their drive to stay in school.
- In partnership with our partners we will track each Niños del Lago child through primary school. Only those who complete certain requirements will be able to return to the camp the following year.
- We will establish a link between vulnerable children and Guatemalan university students who will work at the forest camp as Mentors, giving the children strong role models.
- The staff at our camp will be well-trained local Mayan villagers, providing much needed jobs in an area (San Andres Semetabaj) with few employment opportunities.