Niños del Lago seeks a well-qualified, experienced, passionate, full-time, Program Director to oversee our core Journey to the Forest camp program for the vulnerable children we serve in Guatemala.
About Niños del Lago
Niños del Lago is a USA-registered 501c3 non-profit organization registered in Guatemala.
We work in collaboration with a network of NGO-sponsored primary schools in Guatemala City & in the NW highlands to bring hope, opportunity and permanent change in the lives of hundreds of children who attend our one-week Journey to the Forest camp program.
Located in a pristine, natural forest overlooking Lake Atitlan & Panajachel. Camp Niños del Lago is a beautiful, conserved, and multi-purpose facility where hundreds of vulnerable Guatemalan children experience a time away from the problems they encounter in their daily life and a place where they can breathe fresh air and dream of a bright future.
Our mission is to inspire and empower vulnerable Guatemalan children to fulfill their potential and become positive and productive members in their communities.
- You are an experienced, creative, fun-loving and trustworthy leader who possesses excellent communication skills.
- You are an enthusiastic team-builder and a well-organized problem-solving leader.
- You are inspired by innovative education & empowering youth
- You can coach, train, motivate, and support a diverse staff
- You are a flexible & resilient self-starter
Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in education, social work, or other relevant field.
- Available to work flexible hours, during children camp program delivery.
- Have demonstrated leadership experience
- At least 1 year experience in similar positions
- Proficient in English and Spanish required
- Can provide proof of non-criminal record (this documentation is required in Guatemala)
- Must be physically-fit to traverse our forest site
- Understands the importance of nature conservation
- High-level of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, P. Point, M. Outlook)
- Previous experience in working in nonprofits preferred
- Having a current Guatemala drivers license is a plus
- Having First-Aid certification is a plus.
- The successful candidate will be in charge of and responsible for leadership of the Journey to Forest camp program, its operation, development and delivery of all activities. Guides and oversees all camp activities related to the program.
- Development and implementation of camp programs curriculum.
- Oversees mentors’ and chaperones’ performance at site during program delivery.
- Takes responsibility for managing the supervision of program staff including cooks, guardians & drivers.
- Ensures a safe, welcoming, inclusive & respectful environment for the children, staff, mentors & chaperons.
- Manages agreements between Niños del Lago mentors & chaperones.
- Manages communications & agreements between NGO program partners & Niños del Lago.
- Is responsible for recruitment and training process for mentors & chaperons
- Obtains required permits related to children program delivery
- Develops plan for programs including budgets & tracking expenses
- Facilitates community partnership including volunteers, NGO-partner schools & education centers and works to develop new opportunities.
Salary: Competitive Local Salary. (40-hour, five-day week); no other benefits available during this period.
Length of Contract: The initial 4.5-month contract may be extended in year 2019 if both parties agree, at which time a sizeable increase in salary + benefits may be available.
How to Apply: We invite interested applicants to send a cover letter highlighting your passion for the job. Please include a current CV, a minimum of three (3) verifiable work references & contact information and a note explaining why you are interested in becoming a member of the Niños del Lago team and why you are perfect for the job. Please submit before June 30th, 2018.
Position to start – 1 August 2018